August 15, 2012

DIY Modern MCM Bird Bath

My DIY bird bath in M's backyard!

A close friend of mine recently had a birthday and on her wish list was a modern, MCM-style bird bath for her backyard. Well, I did some searching for one to buy, but nothing had the right look, or if it did - it was out of my price range.

 I just knew that someone must have tackled a DIY version, and lo and behold, I found this post on The Art of Doing Stuff about a modern looking version with dowels and an ikea dish.


I knew this would be a snap for me to replicate, but what really caught my eye was a suggestion in the comments section from someone named "soupprincess" who suggested using a "decorators table". Genius! I liked that the table would give it more of a MCM/tripod look, and make it easier to move around.

So this is my take, based on Karen's version.

Materials: 
Decorator's Table - I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond
Dish - I chose the AKERBAR from Ikea
Polyurethane
Wood Stain
Tung Oil

Tools: 
Jig Saw or other saw for cutting down the table
Rags
Screwdriver
Ruler
Compass


Begin by determining the correct size base for your dish, and them find the center of the decorators table and mark your circle. Then mark where the hardware will go - I did this by simply drawing a line from the edges of the hardware pieces forward to find the center and then unscrewed the hardware and marked the new screw holes. Using whatever saw you have, cut our your new, smaller circle.


Next I coated the base with 4-5 coats of polyurethane - since it's particle board and will be outdoors, I wanted to make it as waterproof as possible. (I normally don't like using poly, but I tink it was necessary in this case) I also stained the legs, and gave them 3 coats of Tung Oil. Tung oil is natural and easy to touch up if the legs need it. I'm hoping the legs will fade a bit in the sun to match the grey outside of the bowl.


That's it! I did not glue the dish down, as she'll want to rinse and refill it if it gets funky. It's also easy to take down and store, since the legs unscrew.

I think it came out pretty great, and I think my only change would be to make my base circle a bit bigger, I think I went a bit too small! I'm interested to see how it holds up to the weather.

***My little project got re-posted over on Craftzine!! Thanks Arwen!



Pin It!